Friday, February 5, 2010

Lawyers for breakfast


Jean's entry on Kate vegetable was really funny and it brought to mind yet another interesting
encounter in Paris--- Lawyer Salad! My law-student friends however, were not so amused.
I attempted to google lawyer salad but was unable to find out what kind of ingredient 'lawyer' was.
Then I chanced upon another photo entry of Lawyer Salad with the French term for 'Lawyer', which turned out to be 'Avocat', meaning either Lawyer or avocado in English (below).














This is indeed a case of being lost in translation(: However, I feel this is also a case of lexical priming as using the term 'avocado' to the Parisian French will result in incomprehension on their side, thus through these accumulated personal experiences, my own lexicon will develop to accommodate these new terms which I will now know how to use when interacting with various groups of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment